Youth MHFA Adelaide
Blended Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
About the Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
The Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is designed for adults who work with young people. This includes education workers, youth workers, social workers and sports coaches. It also includes parents.
The course will teach you how to provide initial help to an adolescent who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem, or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
Adolescence is the peak age of onset for mental health problems. By completing this course, you will gain the confidence and knowledge to provide the best support possible.
What you will learn
- An introduction to mental health, mental health problems, and mental health first aid
- How to recognise the signs and risk factors associated with particular mental health problems
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan – ALGEE
- How to approach and assess an individual
- When and how to intervene
- What to say, and what not to say
- Treatments available and where to go for appropriate professional help
Mental health problems covered
- Anxiety problems
- Eating disorders
- Substance use problems
Crisis situations covered
- suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury
- panic attacks and traumatic events
- severe effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- severe psychotic states
- aggressive behaviours
This Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is provided in the blended training format, which consists of two parts:
Part 1 – self-paced eLearning component (approximately 4.5 hours)
Part 2 – face-to-face workshop – (full day)
*Please note, part 1 must be completed before undertaking part 2.*
eLearning access and course manual are provided.
Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided.
$209.00 including GST.
Further Information and Support
Contact us for more information about the Youth Mental Health First Aid Course.