Safe Environments TrainingThrough Their Eyes
About Safe Environments for Children and Young People ‘Through Their Eyes’ Training
Safe Environments ‘Through Their Eyes’ training is a full day course which enables managers, staff and volunteers to understand their obligations under the Children’s Protection Act to provide child safe environments within their role or organisation.
This training has been developed by the Department for Human Services. It is designed to assist organisations providing services to children and young people to support their staff and volunteers to recognise, report and respond to children or young people who may be at risk of harm, and build their capacity to provide safe environments.
Safe Environments Training Details
Course type: face-to-face or online
Length: 7 hours
Dates: 23 March 2021, 26 May 2021
Suitable for: See below
Who Should Do Safe Environments for Children and Young People ‘Through Their Eyes’ Training?
The Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 requires certain organisations to provide a child safe environment. This includes organisations that provide services wholly or partly for children (under 18 years old) in one or more of these categories:
sporting or recreational
religious or spiritual
childcare or residential
entertainment or parties
If you or your organisation interacts or provides an environment that children access, then you should undertake Safe Environments training.
Full day, face-to-face training for anyone.
What is a Child Safe Environment?
A child safe environment is a safe and friendly setting where children feel respected, valued and encouraged to reach their full potential.
Children and young people have a right to be safe and protected at all times, including when accessing services in the community. Organisations providing child safe environments:
- Take a preventative, proactive and participatory stance on child protection issues
- Value and embrace the opinions and views of children and young people
- Assist children and young people to build skills that will assist them to participate in society
- Are focused on the protection of children and young people and take action to protect them from harm
- Provide parents, guardians or carers with evidence of their child safe environments policies and procedures when requested.
What Does the Course Cover?
The course covers the following topics:
- Child protection in context
- Through their eyes: values and attitudes
- Risk and harm: South Australian legislation
- Risk and harm: abuse related trauma
- Sexual abuse
- Through their eyes: disclosure
- Child safe environments in organisations
- Reporting suspicion of risk and harm
For further information about child safe environments and obligations, please visit the Department of Human Services website. Alternatively, you can contact the Department of Human Services Child Safe Environments team by phoning (08) 8463 6468 or emailing DHS.email@example.com.
Any questions? Please contact Educators SA by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.