About Child Safe Environments ‘Through Their Eyes’ Training
This training has been developed by the Department for Human Services. It is designed to assist organisations providing services to children and young people to support their staff and volunteers to recognise, report and respond to children or young people who may be at risk of harm, and build their capacity to provide safe environments.
Please note: This is not the Responding to Risks of Harm Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RRHAN-EC). If you are not sure which course is the right course for you, click here for more information.
Safe Environments Training Details
Course type: online
Length: 7 hours
Dates: 10th of June 2022
Suitable for: See below
Who Should Do Safe Environments for Children and Young People ‘Through Their Eyes’ Training?
The Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 requires certain organisations to provide a child safe environment. This includes organisations that provide services wholly or partly for children (under 18 years old) in one or more of these categories:
sporting or recreational
religious or spiritual
childcare or residential
entertainment or parties
If you or your organisation interacts or provides an environment that children access, then you should undertake Safe Environments training.
What is a Child Safe Environment?
Children and young people have a right to be safe and protected at all times, including when accessing services in the community. Organisations providing child safe environments:
- Take a preventative, proactive and participatory stance on child protection issues
- Value and embrace the opinions and views of children and young people
- Assist children and young people to build skills that will assist them to participate in society
- Are focused on the protection of children and young people and take action to protect them from harm
- Provide parents, guardians or carers with evidence of their child safe environments policies and procedures when requested.
What Does the Course Cover?
- Child protection in context
- Through their eyes: values and attitudes
- Risk and harm: South Australian legislation
- Risk and harm: abuse related trauma
- Sexual abuse
- Through their eyes: disclosure
- Child safe environments in organisations
- Reporting suspicion of risk and harm
For further information about child safe environments and obligations, please visit the Department of Human Services website. Alternatively, you can contact the Department of Human Services Child Safe Environments team by phoning (08) 8463 6468 or emailing DHS.email@example.com.
Any questions? Please contact Educators SA by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to organise a training for your staff at your site? Let us come to you! Please call 0482 689 282 or send us an email: email@example.com.
Please note, the Education Development Centre has mandated COVID vaccines. All attendees at this event must be able to show their double COVID vaccination certificate.