PETAA: Teaching reading comprehension Years 4-6
- 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Denison Centre, Garden Terrace, Mawson Lakes SA 5095
- Members $80 Non-members $120
PETAA Face-to-face Professional learning 2023
Making sense of written text is the purpose of reading. Yet reading comprehension, particularly the ability of students to infer, is an ongoing concern for many teachers of Junior Primary and Primary students.
Do we buy an off-the shelf scheme? Do we teach comprehension strategies? Will that be enough?
This workshop introduces teachers to working with rich texts in a way that helps students to build deep levels of understanding.
This workshop covers the following topics:
• Approaches to reading comprehension and implications for the classroom
• Text analysis: how to interrogate texts so that we understand how text structure and language choices support reading comprehension
• How we teach reading comprehension through the close reading of written texts.
Date: Thursday 8th June 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Presenter: Dr Bronwyn Parkin, Literacy consultant and adjunct lecturer in Linguistics, University of Adelaide
Audience: Teachers of students in Years 4-6