Overview – Youth Mental Health First Aid Refresher Course
- The Youth MHFA Refresher Course is a 4-hour face-to-face course that allows people who have previously completed the Youth MHFA course to refresh their knowledge and skills. For people who are accredited MHFAiders, this course offers an opportunity to extend their accreditation for a further 3 years.
- Designed for education workers, social workers, youth workers, sports coaches, parents and other adults who work with young people.
- $95.00 including GST and morning tea & coffee.
About the Youth Mental Health First Aid Refresher Course
This course is designed for adults who work with young people. This includes education workers, youth workers, social workers, and sports coaches. It also includes parents.
The course will teach you how to provide initial help to an adolescent who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem, or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
Adolescence is the peak age of onset for mental health problems. By completing this course, you will gain the confidence and knowledge to provide the best support possible.
After completing the full course (blended or fully face-to-face), the accreditation lasts 3 years, then requires the refresher.
After completing the refresher, the accreditation is good for another three years.
At the end of the second three years, the full course then needs to be completed again.
What you will learn
This course gives participants an opportunity to refresh the knowledge and skills learnt during the 4 hour Youth Mental Health First Aid Course. You will:
- Gain an understanding of the latest research in the mental health field
- Learn the 3 key actions for helping someone feeling suicidal
- Work through complex mental health first aid interactions
- Practice mental health first aid skills.
Mental health problems covered
- Anxiety problems
- Eating disorders
- Substance use problems
Crisis situations covered
- suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury
- panic attacks and traumatic events
- severe effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- severe psychotic states
- aggressive behaviours
This Youth Mental Health First Aid Refresher Course is provided as a face-to-face training only.
Morning tea & coffee is provided.
$95.00 including GST.
View Dates and Book
Next date: To be announced
Venue: Education Development Centre – 4 Milner Street Hindmarsh 5007
Contact us for more information about the Youth Mental Health First Aid Course