Overview – Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
- Designed for education workers, social workers, youth workers, sports coaches, parents and other adults who work with young people.
- Blended delivery for flexible learning. Complete the first part online at your own pace, then attend the face-to-face workshop.
- $209.00 including GST, course handbook and morning tea.
About the Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
The Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is designed for adults who work with young people. This includes education workers, youth workers, social workers and sports coaches. It also includes parents.
The course will teach you how to provide initial help to an adolescent who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem, or is experiencing a mental health crisis.
Adolescence is the peak age of onset for mental health problems. By completing this course, you will gain the confidence and knowledge to provide the best support possible.
What you will learn
- An introduction to mental health, mental health problems, and mental health first aid
- How to recognise the signs and risk factors associated with particular mental health problems
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan – ALGEE
- How to approach and assess an individual
- When and how to intervene
- What to say, and what not to say
- Treatments available and where to go for appropriate professional help
Mental health problems covered
- Anxiety problems
- Eating disorders
- Substance use problems
Crisis situations covered
- suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury
- panic attacks and traumatic events
- severe effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- severe psychotic states
- aggressive behaviours
This Youth Mental Health First Aid Course is provided in the blended training format, which consists of two parts:
Part 1 – self-paced eLearning component (approximately 3.5-4 hours)
Part 2 – face-to-face workshop – (full day)
*Please note, part 1 must be completed before undertaking part 2.*
eLearning access and course manual are provided.
Morning tea is provided.
$209.00 including GST.
View Dates and Book
Next date: Friday 20th August, 8:30am-4:30pm
Venue: Education Development Centre – 4 Milner Street Hindmarsh 5007