- Year Level(s):
- Primary, Secondary
- Learning Area:
- The Arts
- Subject Area(s):
- Pre-Service Concession:
Australian Society for Music Education (SA Chapter) Inc.
The Australian Society for Music Education (ASME) exists to encourage and advance music education at all levels as an integral part of general education and community life, and as a profession within the broad field of music.
The South Australian chapter of ASME:
- Organises a range of Saturday conferences or workshops designed to stimulate and support professional learning and facilitate networking with other music educators.
- Endeavours to support the sharing of professional practice through its reporting of local and national events.
- Publishes music teaching resources written by teachers
- Organises the SA Young Composers Awards
- Strongly and pro-actively advocates for music education with various authorities (including DECD, SACE, AMEB etc.)
- Collaborates with other music education organisations including Orff, Kodaly and ANCA.
Membership of ASME is for any person or organisation supporting the purpose of ASME which is to foster and advance music education at all levels of general education in Australia. ASME members are teachers in schools, studios, community settings and universities, as well as tertiary music/music education students and people working in various facets of the music industry which relate to music education.
The benefits of becoming an ASME member include:
- Reduced rates when attending ASME professional learning events
- Regular newsletters and information about music education issues
- Free copies of the Australian Journal of Music Education
- Access to support materials for music education advocacy
- Participation in consultation on matters about music education
- Networking opportunities at both state and national levels
- Access to knowledge about recent developments, latest resources and key personnel in music education