- Year Level(s):
- Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary
- Learning Area:
- Subject Area(s):
- Pre-Service Concession:
The Australian Literacy Educators’ Association (ALEA) is an independent professional association dedicated to literacy and English language learning from early childhood through all stages of schooling and tertiary education contexts. ALEA recognises the critical role literacy plays in learning and communicating in all curriculum areas, and for effective participation in society.
ALEA provides support and professional development throughout a literacy educators’ career, from student and early career teacher to more experienced educator. We do this through national, State and regional conferences, workshops and seminars, journals, position papers and other publications.
The Association also provides a major advocacy role in relation to significant literacy issues, allowing members to participate in local, state and national forums concerning literacy; respond to government; and participate in major policy initiatives.
When you join ALEA you will have direct access to:
- Professional development for teachers at all levels, through activities organised by ALEA Local Councils around Australia
- The latest information on developments in language and learning through ALEA publications
- Invitations to attend State and National conferences each year, at discounted rates
- Opportunities to meet with educators, authors and illustrators
- Professional dialogue and sharing of expertise and best practice
- Three regular mailouts each year which include Practical Literacy: the Early and Primary Years (PL) and Literacy
- Learning: the Middle Years (LL) and ALEA Today newsletter and eNews
- Access to The Australian Journal of Language and Literacy (AJLL) online through the ALEA Members Centre
- Complimentary copies of ALEA’s occasional publications and other special member offers and resources designed to help you in your profession
- Participation in a growing online community of people dedicated to literacy development and language learning.